PDA

View Full Version : Cali called me, got his ride

ruggbutt
23rd October 2007, 10:05 PM
He got his flight in an F16D. He barfed. I'm sure he'll post more.

Fudd
24th October 2007, 03:21 AM
He got his flight in an F16D. He barfed. I'm sure he'll post more.

AWEEEEEESOME!!!

Cali
24th October 2007, 03:44 AM
I'm still not feeling 100% but it was fun as hell. I talked to the pilot after about getting sick. He said he had a friend that got airsickness and told me what they did to cure it. Needless to say I wouldn't want to go thru what he went thru. I'm not cut out to be a real pilot that's for sure. It sucks pukeing when you have nothing in your gut. I pulled 6.5 g's and I have the HUD tape. I'll post some pics when I get home on the 27th.

only if we could feel the g's in lock on, fighting would be waaaaaayyyyy different. Not very many people would be as badass as they think they are. The radar ws awesome to see working in real life. We were scan at 40 miles and to see all the contacts on it was pretty cool. I couldn't take a pic of the radar but the pilot did let me take my camera in the cockpit.

later

Cobra
24th October 2007, 04:08 AM
thats awesome Cali!

yeah .. so many lounge chair hero's lol.

i'd love to take some of them for a spin and do some aero's. (reminds me of my brother lol.)

he reckoned there was no way i could make him puke (which wasnt my intention) so we did about 30 mins of just some basic aeros with me flying as smooth as i can and when i told him if there was anything else he wanted to see otherwise we would head back ... he quipped .. told you i wouldnt barf.

one move later ... baaaarrrrffffff. was fairly quiet for the rest of the day.

:lol:

Prophet
24th October 2007, 04:16 AM
Damn that is so cool.

Kuky
24th October 2007, 04:29 AM
That's great stuff Cali :cool:

Grimes
24th October 2007, 05:30 AM
I'm jealous.

Mugatu
24th October 2007, 06:03 AM
Me too! Did you grey or black out?

I'm jealous.

Sven
24th October 2007, 06:59 AM
Hey mate congrats on the ride, can't wait to see the pics!!! Don't worry about spewing, almost everyone does at some point.

STRIKER
24th October 2007, 02:30 PM
Congrats Cali bud. So glad you had an overall great time, and just like Sven said, everyone pukes....especially those getting an incentive ride my friend, but not everyone gets to climb into the cockpit with your sim experience and truly enjoy everything! :joystick:

Cali
24th October 2007, 11:04 PM
I only pulled 6.5 g's so I didn't grey or blackout, I didn't even come close. My pilots name was Psycho...so I knew I was going to be in trouble. But he was a very nice guy. I wish all you guys could exprience a ride like that. He couldn't tell me too much about the 120's though but he said from what your telling me about lock on that is dead wrong.

BigWorm
24th October 2007, 11:52 PM
Man Cali, that sounds like one hell of a great time!!! I to am jealous...Cant wait to see pic since i cant talk to ya. Hope you feel better.

LOCsta
25th October 2007, 01:08 AM
awesome! Hope you got the mask off before you blew :D
Thats sweet that you got to see the radar in action.

Prophet
25th October 2007, 02:49 AM
I hate you. Even though its cool that you got to ride, I hate you.

Mugatu
25th October 2007, 04:47 AM
Only 6.5 that's 2 more than I've pulled!

I only pulled 6.5 g's so I didn't grey or blackout, I didn't even come close. My pilots name was Psycho...so I knew I was going to be in trouble. But he was a very nice guy. I wish all you guys could exprience a ride like that. He couldn't tell me too much about the 120's though but he said from what your telling me about lock on that is dead wrong.

TomAce
25th October 2007, 04:50 AM
I've done 4.5 and you can sure feel that so 6.5 is pretty good, no way you where taking pictures while pulling 5 or more.

But then again Rugg tells me you have "strong" hands not sure how he knows this but anyways... :oops:

Kuky
25th October 2007, 05:02 AM
I've done 4.5 and you can sure feel that so 6.5 is pretty good, no way you where taking pictures while pulling 5 or more.

But then again Rugg tells me you have "strong" hands not sure how he knows this but anyways... :oops:

LOL :lol:

Cali
28th October 2007, 05:49 AM
http://server2.uploadit.org/files/3SqnCali-cockpitresize.jpg

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/3SqnCali-pit3resize.jpg

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/3SqnCali-redflagresize.jpg

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/3SqnCali-2jetsresize.jpg

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/3SqnCali-f16resize.jpg

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/3SqnCali-raptorresize.jpg

TomAce
28th October 2007, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the pics Cali simply awesome!

Mustang
28th October 2007, 11:35 PM
whoa! you lucky so and so! v nice pics Cali, well done! :cool:

Grimes
28th October 2007, 11:58 PM
how much of the briefing was....

"now under any circumstance, DO NOT press this button for any reason"

Cali
29th October 2007, 12:32 AM
how much of the briefing was....

"now under any circumstance, DO NOT press this button for any reason"

It wasn't bad cause I already knew what buttons not to touch. But he said if we need to eject I'll say bailout bailout bailout. He also said that if he passes out or something happens to where he can't land to call the ATC and fly to a safe area and bailout. He said don't try to land from the backsit, it's hard enough for a vet to do it let alone someone who has never flown one.

But there were a few buttons that I could mess with. The g-suit was fun to mess around with on the ground to get a feel for it. And when you go to 100% oxygen you sound like darth vadar. ASMH was also cool to see, it's a screen that shows you in the back sit the pilots HUD.

Prophet
29th October 2007, 02:45 AM
Pfft, can land from the backseat.

Did you tell him you know how ILS and the instruments work :D

Besides, if he passes out, hows he going to eject?

Cali
29th October 2007, 03:45 AM
Pfft, can land from the backseat.

Did you tell him you know how ILS and the instruments work :D

Besides, if he passes out, hows he going to eject?

I told him about lock on. Once I pull my handle he'll fly out about 3/10th of a second after me.

=DFA=Graywo1f
29th October 2007, 05:16 AM
Nice Shots man :) i'm glad you got that wonderful opportunity :D

=RvE=Tito
30th October 2007, 02:12 PM
Congrats! I know you're working on F-16's, so haven't you flown on one so far? And was that a just a flight that you've taken a free back seat or it has been planned, I mean what did you do there actualy? Of course, if you're allowed to say.

Must be pretty cool to be part of the real RF. I for one still haven't been part of the virtual one- the last one was supposed to be my first and I was pretty excited about it. Unfortunately, the excitement brought me a cold shower- my friggin' PC burned the day before RF4 :mad: For RF5 I'm sitting on the bench in case any of our guys doesn't show up. Obviously, we must keep an eye on you ;) You seem to be the only one with practical experience.

Cali
2nd November 2007, 11:40 PM
Ok here is a quick brief of the flight,

0900 I had to meet with one of the pilots to give me egress training, incase something happens and we need to get out of the jet fast. Inculding ejecting, he also goes over a few things like the oxygen system, g-suit and some other stuff.

1000 I go to get fitted for my flightsuit, g-guit and helmet. That only takes about 20 minutes to do. But I get fully suited up I use the restroom and then go have a briefing with the pilot who's name is Pyscho, I thought by his name I was going to be in trouble. He goes over the area we will be flying in (Death valley) and other procedures like breathing when pulling g's, if he is unconscious, if we have to bailout over trees, water and around powerlines. So after the brief I go get suited up and we grab our gear and head out to the jet. We had a good 200 yards to walk and I feel like Tom criuse right about now:). Our flight was scheduled to take off at 1100 so we are doing good on time.

We get to the jet and Pyscho is doing the walk around of the jet as I climb to the backseat and start getting strapped in. After a few minutes he climbs in and gets strapped in, the crew chief removes the ladder and 1 minute later I hear the JFS (jet fuel starter) start up. So that runs for a few minutes to make sure everythibng is going good. Then I hear the engine start to spool up and the JFS shut down. A big cloud of smoke comes from the left main landing gear area <that's just the JFS shuting off. When the engine started to spool he closed the canopy and shortly after that starts to go through his checks with the crew chief. He checks his rudder, speedbrake, flaps you get the picture. He is making sure everthing is working the way it should. After that was done we are just waiting for clearence to taxi. I hear the ATC call us and say Caddy1 cleared for taxi. Our jet callsign is Caddy1. As we start to taxi and heading towards the runway he tells me to arm the seat. It's a bumpy ride just like in the 25T. we get to EOR (end of runway) and were waiting for our crew to come remove the remaining streamers from our external tanks and missiles.

The ATC is busy talking to other flights. Then he calls us and says we are cleared to take off. Pyscho request a max climb, but the ATC calls back and denies it. Max climb is where you take off and call level until you reach about 450mph and pull straight up and climb to about 15,000 feet and pull about 4.5 g's. It sucks we can't do it but oh well, I'm still sitting in a F-16. So we line up on the runway and start moving. Pyscho then says were in burner and I couldn't hear a difference at all. I just knew we were going really fast and I was being push back into my seat about 10 hard then taking off in a 747 or DC-10. We lift off at about 160mph heading 025 from Nellis AFB. We are climbing at 10 degrees and our speed is climbing also. We pass through angels 4.5 in no time, the ATC is still talking to us and other flights.

After about 1 minute we start to make a left bankto a heading of about 245 heading towards Death valley. We are at 9,500 feet and speed is 375, we pulled 1.6 g's in the turn. Our ingress altitude is angels 16, and we test the g-suit by pulling 2.4 g's, as the air filled the bladders in the g-suit we knew they were working fine. I glance down at the radar and see that we are scanning 40 miles at 5-20 thousand feet. I see about 7 contacts all scattered but mostly on our right side. He starts telling me about the HUD and goes through some of the stuff on it. The ATC calls out Caddy1 climb to angels 17 cause there is another jet heading towards us at angels 15. And I here Pyscho say he is 23 miles ahead of us. within I think and 15 seconds it seemed, Pyscho said talley brailian 7 miles 1 o'clock low. I was looking but couldn't see anything until they were 4 miles out, then I spotted it....and watched them past on our right side about 2-3 miles out and 2,000 feet lower then us.

Then we hear the T-Birds talking to the ATC through the radio clutter. We are about 7 miles from the airspace that we will be flying in. Within a minute we are in the airspace. And the first thing we do is pull some g's, he banks left and we pull 4.3, and I thought that wasn't bad. Then he says were going to pull about 6.5. He says are you ready and I say yea, and he rolls right pulls back on the stick and I'm watching the HUD And seeing the g's climb.....we hit 6.4. He laughed at me when I said I didn't like that to much. So after that I felt sick and I said lets go down low. So we roll left until we are upside down and he pulls back until we are diving at 35 dgrees. we get about 2-3 feet from the ground were stll 6,000 feet from sea level. And there is a valley we start following banking left and right pulling 1.5-2.5 g's in these turns. I didn't eat that morning cause I knew I was going to fly, but about 2 hours before my flight I had a lilttle pudding snack pack. No I didn't puke that up just spit, I felt like crap. He said most of the time you'll feel better if you fly since you know what your going to do. So I fly for a bit and I'm still not feeling any better. I pull a few g's and bank right and dive a lil. After that we are about to start heading back he said do you want me to show you a simulated bomb run, I didn't have the stomach to do it so I said no:mad:.

He said why don't you do a barrel roll and again I was like no way. So after a few he takes control of the jet again. And says you have to at least do 1 barrel roll and before I could say anything, we were rolling left, on our side, upside down, on our right side and back up right before I got a word out. That happened in a spilt second. So on our way back to Nellis I ask how far our are we and he says 87 miles. And were moving about 8 1/2 miles a minute so we should be there in about 10 minutes. We were doing about 436mph. Then he called OPS and said this is Caddy1 10 minutes out, code 1 (code 1 means that the jet is good to go for the next sortie) Code 2 is ok and code 3 means the jet is broke and needs to be fixed.

At this point I felt like crap but we are heading home and not doing anything crazy. On the break over the runway we pulled 3.8 g's which was fine. I did hear the engine change pitch when we were on final.

Overall even though I puked and felt like crap afterwards I had a great time. If I ever get another flight...I'll be sure to take something that will help with motion sickness.

Fudd
5th November 2007, 11:37 PM
Man I wanna go!!!!

Cali
21st January 2008, 10:12 AM
Just recorded a few different shots of the flight, I'll see if I can add them into one video. I'll upload it to the FTP or see if Rugg can host it. Sorry I had to record it using my camera off the T.V.

EDIT: Can't use this movie maker, I'll talk to Rugg tomorrow.

=RvE=Yoda
21st January 2008, 10:42 AM
Grats Cali :)

I was 2-3 G in some crazy rollercoaster once ^^

Cali
21st January 2008, 06:50 PM
Going to Rugg's house today and he should be able to hook it up.

Case
21st January 2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks for sharing this Cali, great stuff!

Can't wait to see that HUD tape.

Case

ruggbutt
22nd January 2008, 01:40 AM
Cali filmed it with the digicam from his monitor, and he came over to ask me to put the clips together. Well, since I wasn't happy with the way he did it we finally got the tape duped onto my computer. He's gonna put together the clips and post it. Looks great too, and even though we walked out of the room to let the clip render I heard him apologize once when I walked back in. I asked him if that was when he puked. He smiled and said yes. ;)

Cali
23rd January 2008, 06:58 AM
That guy above me is not very nice:mad: I'm editing all the bad stuff out of the flight...

I'm working on the video now, it's nice that I can work on it at work also :spiteful:. It's 12 minutes as of now and I still need to put another 5-7 minutes on. I just need to add barrel roll, turn & break and landing. On the turn and break we pull about 3.2 g's and you can hear the change in pitch from the engine on landing which is cool. I should be done with this in about 2 days if everything goes well.

=DFA=Graywo1f
24th January 2008, 02:55 AM
cool :) cant wait to see it :cool:

Sven
24th January 2008, 09:31 AM
Only just saw the pics, awesome dude!

Cali
24th January 2008, 10:51 AM
Only just saw the pics, awesome dude!

The video looks like it will be about 14-18 minutes

Cali
24th January 2008, 07:28 PM
Just finished it and it's a little over 14 minutes long. I have to look at it once more and see if anything needs to be fixed, I'll do that at work 2 nite. Hopefully it will be ready for download Friday Jan 25th.

Mugatu
24th January 2008, 08:21 PM
Looking forward to seeing it!!

Just finished it and it's a little over 14 minutes long. I have to look at it once more and see if anything needs to be fixed, I'll do that at work 2 nite. Hopefully it will be ready for download Friday Jan 25th.

Cali
25th January 2008, 03:57 AM
I'm done, it's 12:35 long and about 3.3MB

Kuky
25th January 2008, 07:13 AM
LINK! :whip:

Cali
25th January 2008, 08:17 AM
OK it's 43MB not 3.3MB, I'll have to see about hosting it.

Case
25th January 2008, 08:11 PM
You could host the file at http://www.mediafire.com. It may not be permanent, but at least you don't have to pay or provide an email address.

Case

Cali
25th January 2008, 08:26 PM
You could host the file at http://www.mediafire.com. It may not be permanent, but at least you don't have to pay or provide an email address.

Case

Thx I'll try that :smile:

ruggbutt
25th January 2008, 08:35 PM
Or bring it over here and I'll upload it to my site for ya.

Cali
25th January 2008, 08:38 PM
Or bring it over here and I'll upload it to my site for ya.

I'm uploading it now, so I'll see how that works. :smile:

EDIT: here is the link
http://www.mediafire.com/?81tsxy96db1

159th_Viper
25th January 2008, 11:14 PM
Awesome Cali :cool:

Thanx for Sharin' !

=DFA=Graywo1f
25th January 2008, 11:34 PM
Good stuff

"hows was that got 6.4 gees"

"didnt like that to much" LMAO :rofl:

you lucky man :) thanks for sharing Cali

Kuky
25th January 2008, 11:45 PM
sweeet :cool: thanks for sharing Cali! :wink:

X-man
26th January 2008, 01:00 AM
Very nice! Thanks for sharing this :smile:

Cali
26th January 2008, 01:21 AM
Thx guys, I wanted to pull 9 g's but after doing the 6 g's I thought I might die.

Cobra
26th January 2008, 03:03 AM
d/ling now as i'm about to walk out the door.

thanks cali!

:smile:

Case
26th January 2008, 04:55 AM
Awesome Cali! Really cool to see that HUD tape.

Makes you wonder about us in the virtual cockpit pulling +6G all the time so easily :joystick: -> :shok:

Thanks for sharing!

Case

=DFA=Graywo1f
26th January 2008, 05:14 AM
Hey Cali how long did you run through the before flight training? how long did that take?

Cali
26th January 2008, 05:38 AM
Hey Cali how long did you run through the before flight training? how long did that take?

LOL what training, I was told 2 hours before take-off that I was going. I had to rush over and go over our flight and he told me what you heard in the video " tighten your butt, legs and breathe"

Case,
I said it before, if we felt the g's while flying lock on. That would end all these guys thinking their superman.

Mugatu
27th January 2008, 04:43 AM
Awesome vid cali!! Did you spot the brazilian? :shok:

Cali
27th January 2008, 05:17 AM
Awesome vid cali!! Did you spot the brazilian? :shok:

yea, a little late though.

=DFA=Graywo1f
27th January 2008, 06:05 AM
WhAT!? no ejection training?

Cobra
27th January 2008, 07:07 AM
rofl at the instructor talking about the types of trees as your scorching down the valley while Cali is in the back holding on for dear life.

what a ride though .. your one lucky SOB.

:smile:

LOCsta
27th January 2008, 07:35 AM
that was some funny shit when he asked how that G turn felt. :lol:

Cali
27th January 2008, 08:07 AM
Graywolf, We did have egress training.

Cobra, that was funny him talking about the trees.

Loc, YOUR ALIVE.....where have you been...I was about to ask Rugg for your number.

TomAce
27th January 2008, 09:29 AM
Great stuff mate thanks for that!

eldiablo
27th January 2008, 11:36 AM
That's awesome !! Thank You Cali !:lol:

Fudd
27th January 2008, 08:23 PM
Dude.... really good video.... so jealous

Cali
29th January 2008, 04:13 AM
Makes you wonder about us in the virtual cockpit pulling +6G all the time so easily :joystick: -> :shok:
Case

Remember........the pilot flies a lot more then me, so he is use to pulling g's. That was my first time doing that, with practice and repetition it would be different.

189th Rex
29th January 2008, 07:28 AM
After all, those guys are trained to hold 9g for at least 15 seconds. Well, I would assume they are, because their Eagle counterparts are hardly allowed to THINK about BFM until they pass the "Spin 'n' Puke" stage.

=RvE=Tito
29th January 2008, 09:08 AM
Nice one Cali, thanks for sharing. What's the format the camera is recording? Actualy is it tape or digital?

Cali
29th January 2008, 07:43 PM
Nice one Cali, thanks for sharing. What's the format the camera is recording? Actualy is it tape or digital?

It's a actual 8m tape