PDA

View Full Version : v8factor 2008 season, anyone interested?

ggg
27th December 2007, 03:26 PM
edit:
here's a link to our site for the v8factor 2008 season
http://members.optushome.com.au/v8factorseason/index.htm

edit:
good news, after tonights meeting its official:
server patched to 1.255 f
seems rock solid, no problems.

knowing that many sim pilots are also sim racers, perhaps a few of you may be interested in doing some v8 supercar racing in 2008 using rfactor.

after hosting a small rfactor league throughout 2007 using the great v8factor mod running several aussie tracks we've decided to run the full season next year.
in 2007 we enjoyed some great racing and the final podium position was decided tonight with our final official race meeting for the year.

now i have come to know and respect several of 3sqn forum regulars from here and other forums etc and would like to extend an invitation to any of you interested in joining us next year for our v8factor 2008 season,
basically following the real 2008 v8 supercar season

that's roughly a round every two weeks starting late feb 08
we run on average 2 races per round, each usually 25 laps.
with qualifying for each official race, using fixed setups.
black flag rules and no assists other than auto clutch.
3x fuel usage and no restarts :) on official races anyway.

with practice sessions held on sunday night after the real race,
and our official race probably tuesday nights 8-10pm est.

nothing too serious mind you, we are definately here for a good time
using TS for comms we like to have a laugh etc,
yet we also like to race in a semi mature fashion,
no team kills etc :D
all current drivers are 30+ and all from east coast of Aust.

no doubt we will run a few events between now and feb 08 so if your into rfactor, in particular v8factor with aussie tracks this could be for you.

if interested,
see post #40 for connection details.

Kuky
27th December 2007, 04:38 PM
What racing game you guys use for this?

Prophet
27th December 2007, 08:12 PM
I am guessing rFactor. I have it, and its great. I just suck at it.

169th_Ice
28th December 2007, 12:21 AM
heya ggg,

im in love with the bmw 320 mod right now. Have you tried it ?

be happy to do a few laps in the supercars with you sometime though.

ggg
28th December 2007, 12:24 AM
yes kuky, rfactor.

if you are not familiar with it, rfactor is a racing sim designed to be very mod-friendly, with virtually any car type and track you desire, from dtm, to corr off road trucks, f1, indycar, v8supercars, vw's or drifting rice burners just to mention a few.
created by mod teams and individual members of the community,
and most of them are to a pretty high standard.

the base game is rather ordinary, but that was kind of the idea,
they (ISI), built a solid base for the modders using the gmotor2 engine,
and including a very good multiplayer experience.
thanks to all these reasons it has flourished into what we have today.

rfactor is the game, v8factor 1.1 is the mod.
it comes with the mountain, mt panorama (bathurst).
already looking forward to next year :)

Cobra
28th December 2007, 12:31 AM
sounds like fun but i dont know my availability on a regular basis so i may not be able to make most races.

i'll load it up when i get a chance if you want to send through some details of where you guys meet up etc.

:smile:

ggg
28th December 2007, 12:33 AM
hey ice, no i havent tried the 320 yet, will do though as they come highly recommended.
whenever i try one of those euro cars i get back in the v8supercar and it feels like its on ice, pardon the pun :) although it is much better after the 1.1 patch.

i have recently been giving the idt champ cars a go, not bad, dam fast.
mostly we stick to the v8's.

anyway ice, would be glad to have you along for a run one day. :cool:

ggg
28th December 2007, 07:31 AM
will give more info when the time comes.

glad to hear some of you showing interest.
must get some lockon time again :)

Kuky
28th December 2007, 11:44 AM
hm...I doubt I'd be getting it... if I did I'd need to buy steering wheel also. I got ArmA and didn't play that for more then a week and same happens with any other game other then good flight sim. I'll just wait till BoB and BS come out and get them.

ggg
28th December 2007, 12:53 PM
it is a big ask getting guys to run a full season i guess.

after all its probably cutting into flight time :)

Fudd
29th December 2007, 01:32 AM
I would like to try sim racing at some point soon.... I have no wheel and throttle yet

Kuky
29th December 2007, 01:44 AM
I'll see if I can get it on torrent... might take a while to download though :rolleyes: Damn these torrent downloads are so slow :sad:

Prophet
29th December 2007, 06:34 PM
I would like to try sim racing at some point soon.... I have no wheel and throttle yet

I have a G25 and the iVibe, great response great game. I just dont get a sense of speed, take the corners too fast.

Kuky
30th December 2007, 12:50 PM
I got rFactor installed and I can say on Ultra graphics settings even at 1680x1050 32bit and max AA (3 level) the game runs very nicely for me and it looks quite nice I must say. I'm thinking of getting a steering wheel again but I'm still not sure about it... I think if I don't play this thing for extended periods of time It'll be money wasted for me... I'd like to hear from more of you guys wether you want to play online this and race, I think it would be quite fun maybe one day a weekend... I think it would break the "monotony" of LockOn only :cool: So I think I would give it a try... I'd like if few more 3Squadron guys would like it too...

ggg
1st January 2008, 03:43 AM
kuky: good to hear you got it sorted.
we are still currently running the server with the 1.250 patch
this may change to 1.255 before the new season starts,
but for now it remains as v1.250.
we usually run a fun session sunday nights from 8pm till 10pm or later
running aussie tracks like:
adelaide, wanneroo, oran park and bathurst to name a few.

all tracks etc available from "rfactor central",

as for a wheel, if you shop around those g25's are coming down in price.
under $300 aus, a very nice wheel.
comes with three pedals and a 6 speed shifter.
sure you can go cheap but you know thats what you'll get.
for entry level those black momo's are ok if you want to go budget.
ebay might be the go.

this game needs a wheel, its no need for speed :)

i am happy to discuss any aspect of the game to help you guys get into it,
its a pretty difficult user interface to get familiar with, like lockon though,
well worth it in the end.
just be sure to turn of all driving aids other than autoclutch, learn to drive it.

once you are ready to go and want to join the action
please pm me for server and teamspeak connection details.
hope to see some of you there.

Kuky
3rd January 2008, 04:06 AM
Oh my, and I thought Fudd and Rugg have issues :rolleyes: So I got me this Logitech G25 steering wheel (it's bloody heavy :smile:) so in no time I'll be ready to start racing... and hitting that tire wall :lol:

So which one of you wanna race?

Cobra
3rd January 2008, 08:42 AM
i'm back home on 7th. i'll load it up then.

how much was your wheel?

Kuky
3rd January 2008, 09:16 AM
$363 at techbuy

Cobra
3rd January 2008, 10:42 AM
ouchies

will have to stick with my crappy plastic logitech lol.

:sad:

Kuky
3rd January 2008, 01:31 PM
So what do I need to install to get this thing up and running for this V8 tournament? Is this correct sequence:

1. Installing rFactor
2. Installing 1150
3. Installing Patch 1250
4. Installing V8Factor v1
5. Installing V8Factor v1.1

I got G25 installed and setup and working manual clutch/gears, with little bit FF and it feels pretty good driving normal road cars (I like that silver convertable quite a bit). I think it'll be quite enjoyable and interestng racing real (and mature) people, but I must say also i think already the strain odf driving fore many circles is very straining on the back and hands... maybe I need to get me in bit better position... anyway, I think maybe this might be a good sim to invest some time in.

Prophet
3rd January 2008, 06:26 PM
Dude the G25 rocks. Go here.

http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=246978&page=13

ggg
4th January 2008, 03:22 PM
sweet g25, lots of info at rsc on setting them up.
as you can see over there everyone has an opinion on the matter,
just need to find what suits you.

do yourself a favour and turn off all driving aids etc, its a sim :)
one thing i would definitely recommend is the realfeel plugin, drop it in your plugins folder.

also in the rfactor\userdata\yourname\ folder
look for controller file and edit:

Gear Select Button Hold="1" // Enable this option if using a gear select device that holds down a joystick button while in a gear and releases all buttons in neutral (such as the Act-Labs USB Shifter)

that should give you a neutral in the gearbox.

also see things like 'auto blip', lots of options and config stuff just like lofc

funny we are right into lockon last few nights, got the HL client and was checking all that out, building a few basic mp missions.
so far just learning the ropes.

racing will resume in a few weeks,
its adelaide first and then onto eastern creek, following the 2008 season.
practice/fun will start early feb by the looks of it.

kuky:
your install sequence looks good
great to hear you went for the g25,
have done a few laps using one and they seem really nice.

Cobra
5th January 2008, 02:46 PM
what are some other wheel options?

Kuky
5th January 2008, 04:32 PM
I'm downloading all tracks in Australia from that rFactor Central website... that V8Factor mod only has Bathurst :blank:

Kuky
5th January 2008, 04:33 PM
what are some other wheel options?

I saw Logitech Momo in shops for $129. I must say though this G25 is pretty good (well it better be for the price tag) and its like Cougar league for HOTAS :spiteful:

Prophet
5th January 2008, 04:42 PM
I saw Logitech Momo in shops for $129. I must say though this G25 is pretty good (well it better be for the price tag) and its like Cougar league for HOTAS :spiteful:

The FFB is so strong the damn thing will spin out of my hands. Course I drive like a mad man.

Kuky
5th January 2008, 05:06 PM
The FFB is so strong the damn thing will spin out of my hands. Course I drive like a mad man.

You can reduce the FFB as much (or little) as you like

S77th-Highway
6th January 2008, 12:03 AM
I'll give it a spin too, so to speak... Downloading the trial client from the Rfactor website now :smile:

Cobra
7th January 2008, 02:08 AM
i can only see patch 1.255

any ideas where to get the 1150 > 1250 patch?

and ggg can you put up everything that is required (patches.. tracks etc to race.)

cheers

PS if you want me to put up a rfactor forum on these ones let me know.

ggg
8th January 2008, 06:47 AM
cobra:
an rfactor section here, if people are interested why not.
would keep things tidy with faq sticky,
and an interested drivers list etc.
can discuss further with u.

kuky:
yes only bathurst comes with v8factor, but the others are easy to get and simple to install once you do a few :)

great to see we are getting some interest,
we will be having a run this sunday for sure.

now who's going to download the file :)

Kuky
8th January 2008, 09:07 AM
here's the deal with me...

I had it installed (by the way my version is 1.255) and I had installed the V8Factor v1 and Patch v1.1

Now, last night I tried to join few servers and from those tht didn't have pssword I could connect but I could not drive anything. I assume it's because every server I joined had some stuff (track or cars) installed that I didn't have... I even trien joining server that runs V8 Supercars seson... again no car for me. All I would get is to watch others drive as spectator.

the I tried starting my own server... picked a tarck... start it and again same shit... dude where's my car? By the way I downloaded and installed all Australian tracks (and 3-4 others) and they work fine offline. I don't know what the hell is up with this game, to me it looks as most user unfriendly multiplayer ever. The thought of having to install tons of separate files for each and every track, car ets... is absurd... if this is what I have to do to be able to join servers online I say screw it :hhmmm:

Cobra
8th January 2008, 12:27 PM
u had the wrong version to start with as they are running an old patch .. 1.250 (not 1.255)

:sad:

Kuky
8th January 2008, 12:37 PM
yeah, looks like it :wacko:

Well not to make this G25 redundant straight away :rolleyes: I got myself to download (purchase) rFactor and I hope this time it's the original version, then on that I can apply patch v1150 and v1250. Man this patching business is such a pain :sad:

I hope it works this time :blank:

Kuky
8th January 2008, 04:29 PM
Gees this game is one pain in the ass... so I got the download, got some activation key in email... installed the game started it... it automatically got connected to internet (this activation software that is) and activated the game... so I think its all good and I continue and install patch 1250 and V8 mod. Everything works fine but now I find many online servers now have different game version... so I go and download patch 1255... and here comes the trouble again. The damn thing is not telling me my activation number has expired and I can run the game on trial for 1h or buy the game.... WHAT?! I JUST BOUGHT THE FUCKING THING... $55 for piece of shit 1 activation?! Gees and people bitch about LO activations... man this is unbeliveable what I need to get through to get this shit running :confused:

Looks like in the end I'm gonna have to get DVD retail version... and that'll cost me another $70 by the looks of it... I am so pissed off... these little fucking fuckers :hhmmm: I emailed this gamearena.com.au websuckers for refund... I don't want to take this shit :rtfm:

ggg
9th January 2008, 01:41 AM
is that thru telstra, if so i have heard of others having issues with the one bought from there, not sure what exactly though.

as for the reactivation, there is lots of info at the isi site to help you to reactivate the software after you have already purchased.

http://www.rfactor.net/index.php?page=help_reactivate

if its letting you play for an hour it sounds like you have the 1255 version again?
as i think demos prior to that had limited usage, not timed usage.

sorry i can't be of more help.
its no secret i am not a big fan of this online activation etc,
i much prefer the cd in my hand,
even if it has to be in the drive to play like lofc.

good luck kuky, don't give up.

Kuky
9th January 2008, 02:12 AM
Well the downloaded version was 1.150 and it was working fine, then I patched it to 1.250 and that worked fine too, online also (although most servers have different version now, 1.255 I presume) but after I applied the v1.255 patch it asked me to activate again, and of course it won't let me... and yes the download I got (paid for) was from Telstra GameArena website. If I knew it was download version only I wouldn't have got it, I would pay $70 and get the retail DVD version elsewhere. Now I am with two options... either leave this and "waste" the $363 G25 or "waste" another $70 and get the DVD oh goodie :wacko:

By the way, I can still reinstall the game and install patch 1.250 only and it'll work offline/online. I emailed the guys from GameArena but no reply yet... I think I won't be getting any anyway.

ggg
9th January 2008, 02:15 AM
kuky see pm

By the way, I can still reinstall the game and install patch 1.250 only and it'll work offline/online. I emailed the guys from GameArena but no reply yet... I think I won't be getting any anyway.

oh, ok so you can happily get 1250 working, great as for now thats all you need.
yes most servers have switched to 1255 but at present we are still using 1250.

Kuky
9th January 2008, 02:37 AM
alright so are we on for this sunday? training/racing? let me know the server details (or IP or what ever I need to know) and I hope I'll be there

ggg
9th January 2008, 04:56 AM
good stuff kuky, definitely on for this sunday, its like our church :)
only not on if hell freezes over :), or technical difficulties.

get a few laps in around adelaide and
(barbegallo), wanneroot :) as we call it.
these tracks are popular at the moment, especially seeing that adelaide is the first official race of the season.

for comms we use TS (teamspeak) so get that.
and 2moro night, being thursday 10th jan we will have a test session.
sunday is always on

server is usually up around 7pm for prac if u want,
joining up on TS around 8pm if not before, kids permitting :)

will go and find the connection info now.

ggg
9th January 2008, 05:53 AM
finally,
details for joining v8factor:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/v8factorseason/
hope to see you there, don't forget your favorite beverage.

Kuky
9th January 2008, 07:31 AM
1. Adelaide track... check
2. Perth track... check
3. TS already installed and tested many hours with flight sims :wink: althought I can't set steering wheel button for PTT? It works in Ventrilo but not TS :blank:
4. Game running v1.250 and working on multiplayer (where server is same version:rolleyes:) so check for that too and I guess my first online racing training session is on for tomorrow...

I will be connecting as... yes you've guessed it... as "Kuky" :cool:

ggg
9th January 2008, 02:31 PM
tried the ptt in ts tonight and i was unable to map a wheel button like you said.
will have to get this sorted, maybe there is a work around.
like map a wheel button to a key for example, then map the key to ts ptt.
it'is possible to map ptt to a mouse button if nothing else, that works ok.

currently we are using voice activated slider in ts, most of the time its ok but when someone is yelling at the dog or whatever it sucks.

ruggbutt: love your quote about this problem, sums it up very nicely.

Do not configure Ventrilo with Voice Activation, we will ask you to change it. We don't wanna hear you breathe, cough or scream at your wife. In fact, just the other nite we had to hear someone's wife scream she needed tampons. PTT (push to talk) people, PTT.

Grimes
9th January 2008, 03:26 PM
to quote the only other good Tom Cruise movie....

Kuky, tires win a race, if you keep burning up the damn tires your never gonna win a damn race. :lol:

ggg
10th January 2008, 07:35 AM
details for joining v8factor:
see post #40

Prophet
10th January 2008, 08:02 AM
Kuky, you any good?

Maybe we should get together and race.

And I couldnt get PTT to work with my G25 either. I will figure something out though. The G25 is nice aint it? :wink:

Kuky
10th January 2008, 08:09 AM
I don't think I'm very good at all... I still try too safe I think, but if I try to push it I skid and hit something inprocess :rolleyes:

The G25 is actually very good, I am glad I got it and not something cheaper... like with Cougar, even though the price is very high (G25 still far cheaper though and needs no modding :lol:) in the long run it pays off... if the controller does its thing how its suposed to, I'm happy... onec its paid and some time passes by you forget about it but still get to keep a good quality product :wink: Alright I'll stop my yapping now :red:

Kuky
10th January 2008, 08:25 AM
oooo great! I got PTT to work now...

open Logitech Gaming Software... create new "Game" profile... give it a name (I chose "TeamSpeak") then poin to TeamSpeak.exe then for example set keystroke "Pause" to Button 8. In TS also set "Pause" as your PTT button. Close Logitech Gaming Software and next time you open TS Logitech Gaming Software will auto recognise you've started TeamSpeak.exe and it'll set "Pause" to Button 8... and you'r PTT will work in TS :cool:

eldiablo
10th January 2008, 01:28 PM
Can We race in Vallelunga with those cars ? U can find it here http://rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Vallelunga
I love this track ... it's my first love before my wife...:rolleyes: ... and a SBK track also :lol:...
It's impressive how much it is equal at real track !!!
Look for some youtobe steram ... that's awesome
I have a question for U, when I was in the pit I miss understand with the engine on my head .. how I can save my brakes ??:red: ...

Nice fun today
C YA :wink:

Kuky
10th January 2008, 01:29 PM
I'll get it right now Diablo... I have to say this was quite a fun tonight... I'll be running racing with you guys on weekend for sure :cool:

Polecat
10th January 2008, 05:44 PM
Gotta get me in on some of this r-factor with you all. Now where did I put that G-25?:smile:

Out

ggg
11th January 2008, 12:43 AM
i think you guys did very well last night, both kuky and eldiablo showed us they have what it takes, kuky even scored a race win :)

PTT in TS:
for those without any profile software for their wheel, i found this.
ptt in ts is easily solved with a small program call jbinx, it can be found here:
http://files.filefront.com/JbindXrar/;5207160;/fileinfo.html

install and run jbinx
select button on wheel you want to use for ptt ,
select the key to bind, then hit bind and minimize.
now in ts use the same key for ptt, too easy,
i read all this will be built in to TS3.

eldiablo:
as for saving the brakes you must look after your car in general, not over rev the engine, and stay off the ripple strips, these are the two most common causes for failures or fires :), and especially contact with others or the walls can severely affect your cars health, a pitstop will fix most but not necessarily all damage.
try it yourself run an offline race,
nurse your car and stay off the ripple strips,
odds are it will finish the race like new.

sunday night is the next event,
Vallelunga 1.0 will be added to the server track list.

hope to see you there :)

Kuky
18th January 2008, 03:03 AM
Update from me:

I asked and got a refund for downloaded version because after reinstalling O/S last weekend I could no longer activate even original version without patches :hhmmm: So no more downloading games for me. Yesterday I finally got the DVD (there seems to be only 1 store selling it here in Australia from what I could find on internet and these guys are located in Sydney - Silverwater). The DVD is $69.95 and its v1.255 so now unless you guys patch it up to v1.255 I won't be able to race with you.

Prophet
18th January 2008, 05:55 AM
Really? I have activated my D/L version like 20 times now.

I am also on 1.255 though.

ggg
19th January 2008, 12:58 PM
great to hear you got it sorted kuky, dvd version sweet.
we will hopefully be patching to the new 1.255 version for the new season.
i have tried the new 1.255 and it definately loads tracks faster.

until we get together again, check out the real v8supercars 2008 track list.
this is the same as we will run, and maybe also just released amaroo :)

amaroo needs smoke fix edit, take the common terrain.tdf from locations folder, copy and rename to amaroo.tdf
use it to replace the original amaroo.tdf in locations/amaroo/amaroo folder.

ggg
20th January 2008, 02:05 PM
good news, after tonights meeting its official:
server patched to 1.255 f :cool:
seems rock solid, no problems.

feel free to join in the pre-season action,
sunday nights around 8pm (gmt+11) till late.
bit of practice usually followed by short races starting every 10min or so, a few smoke breaks etc, and a few laughs.

current tracks that are getting a good work out include:
Amaroo, Waneroo and Adelaide (first track of the season, starting late feb)

ps: if for whatever reason the game server ip has changed, eg: times out.
just jump on comms as the ts details should remain the same.

good times :)

Kuky
21st January 2008, 02:25 AM
Good to hear v1.255 is running good. I haven't actually done any rFactor-ing since I reinstalled O/S. Yesterday I was flying LockOn pretty much the whole day and just around 7-8pm I got somewhat bad headache and I thought I couldn't do any online stuff any more (wearing headphones the whole day and having a headache is bad, bad, bad :wacko:) I went to bed to lay down a bit and just fell asleep... woke up around 1am with even worse headache, took some Panadol and could fall asleep again only 1h later... I hope to be there next weekend. :blank:

ggg
3rd February 2008, 08:21 AM
basic site setup for the 2008 season, and sunday night open races.
http://members.optushome.com.au/v8factorseason/