PDA

View Full Version : 747-400 FO training

Mugatu
8th January 2008, 02:26 AM
Hey Cobra have you started your conversion yet? Any chance of a blog as you go through it? :rtfm:

Cobra
8th January 2008, 12:00 PM
Not yet .. start my conversion on the 21st.

Had my last flight on the 737 the other day .. which was both a little sad and also happy to be moving on.

I'll see what i can do. Not so sure it would be all that exciting lol.

:lol:

tweetpuke
9th January 2008, 10:01 PM
Ah yes "Dozing for Dollars" is getting close. Training shouldn't be too hard that big SOB can be flown by my dog, almost. The hardest part is deciding how to spend your break and the cash....

Fudd
10th January 2008, 12:23 AM
Lol ..........

Cobra
10th January 2008, 03:33 AM
Ah yes "Dozing for Dollars" is getting close. Training shouldn't be too hard that big SOB can be flown by my dog, almost. The hardest part is deciding how to spend your break and the cash....

actually tweet its even easier thank you say!

i bought a boat and a new car to tow it .. killing both problems with one hit. No money left which only leaves me with time to go out on the boat!

tweetpuke
11th January 2008, 12:48 AM
Now there's the ever present dilemma of the airline pilot: How to safely spend that big pay raise before he even gets it? The key word is "safely". Ain't possible. Although we all try it to one degree or the other at some time or other. Funny but it never works and causes all the angst when the business goes to hell, as it always does, and the Corporate Buttplugs want it all back plus 20% more so they can give themselves great big bonuses for sticking it to the low lives...er...sorry, rather, saving the company. Enjoy the boat!

Mugatu
12th February 2008, 12:24 AM
How's the training going Cobra?

Cobra
12th February 2008, 12:57 AM
going well .... finished the ground school theory and start what we call Fixed Base Sims. got 7 of those which are mainly looking at aircraft systems and how they work practically (as opposed to the two weeks of theory), then we move onto the Full Flight Sims (10 of them) which teach you how to fly the aircraft in both normal and non-normal configs.

finish the FBS's on 21st Feb and then do an observation ride to Hong Kong and commence teh FFS's from 29th Feb > 20th March at which point i do line training.

:wacko:

if your interested in a more comprehensive break down of sims etc let me know.

Vulcan
13th February 2008, 09:57 AM
Is it the same ground school theory you did back when you were an SO on the 744 pete?

tweetpuke
13th February 2008, 07:26 PM
Jeeez Pete 3 weeks of training crammed into 2 months. I remember training cycles like that, especially the DC-10, 2 1/2 months. Now, in the save money at all costs mode, they keep "reducing the footprint" until they get a 20% failure rate. I doubt they're saving money & I get to babysit guys who can't identify the jet 3 out of 4 times. Ten more years and Qantas will be just like us. You poor bastards.

Cobra
14th February 2008, 12:29 AM
Is it the same ground school theory you did back when you were an SO on the 744 pete?

very similar, a little compressed to take into account we know company procedures etc.

instructors have a far more relaxed attitude as well.

tweet .. dont put Qantas down .. im sure they will be screwing us just as hard within 3 years.

:rolleyes:

Mugatu
14th February 2008, 05:10 AM
How do the captains and FOs for the A380 get selected, do they go straight to the same position on the 380?

Cobra
14th February 2008, 06:05 AM
same process as every other aircraft.

you apply for a position based on your seniority. i wasnt too far away from a slot but i am glad i got the 744.

i had a look in the A380 sim the other night.... looks flash one eh.

:smile:

tweetpuke
14th February 2008, 06:14 AM
I try never to underestimate the capacity of any airline management to find way to screw, cheat, steal, or plain bugger, sans lube, its employees, customers, suppliers, the public or anyone from whom some advantage can be gained to further enrich themselves. This particularly unique class of scum would sell tricks for their 12 year old sister but actually give you their grandmother who died 7 years ago. And then wonder, innocently, what the fuss was all about if you noticed. No, they're a real fun-loving bunch of crooks. I doubt there is anything they aren't capable of doing. You guys are just a few years behind the ol' U S of A airline industry. Your thieves have a very sharp gelding knife all ready for the first opportunity to use it. :shok: They'll just call it a light trim....for the good of the company.

Mugatu
14th February 2008, 07:02 AM
Didn't get your bonus this year tweet? :tongue:

I try never to underestimate the capacity of any airline management to find way to screw, cheat, steal, or plain bugger, sans lube, its employees, customers, suppliers, the public or anyone from whom some advantage can be gained to further enrich themselves. This particularly unique class of scum would sell tricks for their 12 year old sister but actually give you their grandmother who died 7 years ago. And then wonder, innocently, what the fuss was all about if you noticed. No, they're a real fun-loving bunch of crooks. I doubt there is anything they aren't capable of doing. You guys are just a few years behind the ol' U S of A airline industry. Your thieves have a very sharp gelding knife all ready for the first opportunity to use it. :shok: They'll just call it a light trim....for the good of the company.

tweetpuke
14th February 2008, 07:58 AM
Yeah, Mugatu, something like that. CEO got $26.6 million while I gave up $80k + a year for the pleasure of working for a ferret. Employees gave 20-40% of their wages and thousands lost jobs. The remainder get to work longer with less and the executives took $100 million plus in bonuses and raises for driving the business into a ditch. Our supplies and vendors took 20-50% less and got 60% of what the company owed them. Seems fair to me. The unbelievable part is he and his ilk have no idea why they're loved so much.

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't hurt nearly as badly as most but only because I am at the top of the heap of employees. I have less than three years left and truly couldn't give a rat's ass. But I hate seeing what is left to the young guys like Cobra. (The junior pilots are quitting left and right it's so bad.) The industry is going the way of the bus lines. It's just a shame what greed of a small segment is doing in American business and all the workers. These clowns are spreading their way of doing things worldwide which can't be good. We'll all pay for it eventually.

Cobra
15th February 2008, 03:22 AM
it absolutely sickens me all this corporate greed.

and yes .. it has well and truly taking place here as well (not quite on the scale your seeing!)

:mad:

Mugatu
15th February 2008, 05:10 AM
Yep that sux alright!!

Sven
21st February 2008, 09:32 AM
Gees that all sounds pretty nasty. Can't believe so many dudes are so keen to get out of my line of work and into the airlines.

Mugatu
21st February 2008, 10:01 AM
Fingers crossed you'll be getting to drive an F-22 sometime soon.

Gees that all sounds pretty nasty. Can't believe so many dudes are so keen to get out of my line of work and into the airlines.

Cali
22nd February 2008, 05:32 AM

They can make more money doing the airlines thing

Cobra
22nd February 2008, 02:33 PM
i guess the other reason is lifestyle.

its a fairly easy life compared i hear compared to the forces.

PS i'm going to frame that quote from you and bring it up in 10 years time.

Sven
27th February 2008, 09:11 AM
i guess the other reason is lifestyle.

its a fairly easy life compared i hear compared to the forces.

PS i'm going to frame that quote from you and bring it up in 10 years time.

LOL Someone told me the same thing at work today.

Still, sounds like just as much work from what you've been telling me.

tweetpuke
28th February 2008, 12:23 AM
Sven, let me put some perspective on the question. I think almost eleven years on active duty followed by going on 24 as an airline crew dog gives me some slight credibility to try to do so.

One of my closest buds, we were flight examiners together and ended up in the same class at NWA, said, not too long after we got here, "My worst day in the airline business is better than my best day was in the Air Force." I couldn't quite agree with him but it's a close thing. Two weeks ago this same guys finished 747-400 first officer's training. He voluntarily quit an A330 Captain's position to go back to the whale. Twenty three years of mergers, oppressive management, pay cuts, greedy, thieving execs, and a very long list of abuses, including five years triple qualified (his fault but that it was possible was an unsafe abuse of or contract) and 11 years on call 20-21 days a month did him in. The cut in his wages put him about where he'll be when he retires in seven years. His wife is retiring this year (early) and the kids are on their own so he just wants peace and quiet along with stability in a crazy business environment that drives our lives. He truly sounds content for the first time in a long time.

I don't feel as put upon as Bobby does. I made different choices that had better results although I cannot claim responsibility for the better outcome. I was and continue to be fortunate. Still, I'm worn down in many ways. I almost dread the bullshit that will accompany a merger with Delta. It's already getting deep and they haven't even committed to anything, yet. As an example I had a snot nosed little shit of a Delta narrow body pilot tell me yesterday he looked forward to having me be his co-pilot. Then say he was "only kidding" behind a shit eating grin. Now, I have a highly developed passive aggressive streak and know what it really was. I just smiled and kept walking to the hotel elevator and told him he had no concept of what he was getting into. Our head negotiator (he's an asshole but now he's our asshole) is in his fourth merger and the old army adage of "never tweak the tail of a tiger without a plan to deal with the teeth" couldn't be more appropriate.

But I digress. This can be a great business and career. I have an engineering degree and often think I would have loved to have designed and built things until I play the tape all the way through. I'd have gone batshit dealing with politics, inflated egos, a regular work schedule of way too many hours, and all the usual corporate BS. I always wanted to fly and I have for just shy of 34 years. Not exactly what I wanted to do at each point but it's close enough. Considering what I have now it's certainly far better than I ever thought I'd do and I'm generally content with my choices and non-choices.

The bitch is that the business has changed so much. The fun is essentially gone. Well, not gone just overwhelmed by the BS. Working far more in tougher conditions for less reward gets old after a while. I'm just fortunate to have seen how good it can be and to have had more cushion under me when the bottom fell out. (Yeah, that means I have a big ass. Too.) The young guys aren't in that reality. They've been stuck in low paying positions for ten years, or furloughed, that are now paying even less. Our wholely owned regional carrier, Compass, is going to college job fairs and hiring guys with 200 hours to fly Embrair E-175s (looks like a mini-A320, sorta) if they can get through the 50 hours training course to get a commercial license and qualified in the jet. For that they get to fly 19-20 days a month, 90-100 hours, for about $20/hour. They almost qualify for food stamps. I can hardly understand why they can't find applicants or why more than 50% of them fail. (There's my passive aggressive streak showing again in case you missed the sarcasm.)

The military, er excuse me, the USAF (a navy buddy corrected me) had it's moments. There were very rewarding times and events. It still only took 10 1/2 years and perpetual screw jobs to wear me out. It doesn't seem possible the first few years. Being a young swinging dick (unless it's too cold!) flying around a cool looking jet causes you to over look alot. For awhile. I didn't get to fly the "cool looking jet" (the first big screwing I endured not very gracefully) but I know a whole bunch who did. Many of them came to the same conclusion I did that this was easier, more financially rewarding, and better for our families. I think most of that remains true today but not by the wide margin it once did.

The important thing is to do what you dream of doing for as long as it's your dream and always be grateful for it as long as you have it. My experience is that few people get to do what they dream of doing. Many times that's for the better but that's for another rant. Do it as long as it fits your dreams and realities. The realities are what change the quickest and living within them is where you will be happiest. The truth is, buddy, that I'd yank your balls off and feed them to Rugg to get to do what you're doing. (Now there would be two fights you'd want on video!) That was and is my dream but my reality is different and in the larger scheme of things, far better.

hitman
29th February 2008, 12:08 AM
Do what Im going to do...go to work for civil aviation. Im sure Bill Gates will let you fly his GS-V upside down, do loops, shit like that...just remember that the pissed off mechanic that has to put new stabs on the fucker is probably going to thank you later on for the job security.

Sven
29th February 2008, 01:05 AM
That was a good read Tweet. Interesting times!

Cobra
29th February 2008, 05:07 AM
you know you want the jumbo sven ....

14hours to LA ... 6 in the bunk ... all you do is push a datalink <send> button every hour ...

but the real upside is you can afford a real car and not some hunk of shit supra.

:rofl:

Mugatu
29th February 2008, 05:14 AM
Lol, anyone know if this is a certified sim or just MS Flight Sim?

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,26058,23295662-5012672,00.html

you know you want the jumbo sven ....

14hours to LA ... 6 in the bunk ... all you do is push a datalink <send> button every hour ...

but the real upside is you can afford a real car and not some hunk of shit supra.

:rofl:

Cobra
1st March 2008, 07:06 AM
no its not the same thing as what the airlines use.

i asked the question at the Flight Sim Expo (they had a stand) and i have forgotten the answer lol. i think it was a proprietary program.

i think the sim costs about $100k to setup as opposed to 25m for a real one.

most of the 737 "instructors" are nothing more than private pilots with good people skills as the target audience is business fun days.

they were getting a lot of interest from people going to do airline interviews and sim rides hoping to get some practice before going in .. unfortunately the sim isnt that good and the instructors dont know jack about airline ops.

:smile:

Mugatu
3rd March 2008, 06:39 AM
Hope this wan't your check flight :)

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,26058,23310480-5014090,00.html

Cobra
3rd March 2008, 03:41 PM
hadnt heard that one yet.

seems to be the norm these days .. sorry no staff. (go re-read Tweets post.)

:blank:

tweetpuke
3rd March 2008, 07:39 PM
That story is not all that uncommon. Feces occurs. It is one of the joys of being an international airline critter. Knowing the New Delhi authorities as I do, I'm a bit surprised they let them off the aircraft at all. I'm sure they avoided making a decision until there was no alternative or way to excuse doing anything else. This is what will happen in nearly every diversion of a flag carrier stopping in a third country when traveling between two others. It's also a bitch to find 400 hotel rooms of a suitable quality on a moment's notice. Airlines do pretty well at scheduled ops but often fall on their face in unplanned, uncontrollable situations. I doubt any company could do any better.

The real problem seems to be passenger expectations. One characteristic of first world people of considerable relative affluence is an expectation of getting what they want when they want it. They are traveling in style (well coach on a -400 might better be called steerage unless your some regular Joe from ...say...New Delhi), relative style anyway, and expect that to continue regardless of what happens. When it isn't immediately forthcoming they are "disappointed" in the extreme. It's is a real study in modern human nature to watch just how badly they can act for supposedly civilized people.

These folks were lucky to come down in New Delhi. (Shudder...I'm not fond of the place.) Some of the smaller city, truly emergency, airfields have next to nothing in facilities for 400 mice much less people. . A couple of years ago we had an A-330 land in Frobisher Bay, Canada for a technical failure. The passengers and crew spent almost 24 hours on the airplane because there was nowhere for them to go. (Sonderstom would be even worse yet sometimes we have no choice.) The company had to generate a wide body to come pick up the crew and passengers which isn't an instant happening thing. Funny, but I don't recall any negative press about that one. Maybe it was too cold.

The other side of the debate is the uproar over a British Airways -400 that lost an engine leaving LA and continued to press for London but scudding into Manchester due to the higher fuel burn on three engines. The US guvermint wanted to hang all concerned for endangering all those people even though the rules allow a 3 or 4 engine aircraft to continue following an engine failure, sorta. Two and, needless to say one-, engined aircraft are required to land at the nearest suitable field. Following a lot of Washington bluster and hot air it appears BA agreed not to do that again, at least not here since those guys seem a bit touchy. :whistling:

The BA decision was perfectly safe if not completely within the spirit of the rules and the people got to GB. I'm sure BA had enough time to generate rooms and/or transportation to their destinations so there were no passenger complaints. The customers were happy and the US not so but that can be managed. Good trade in my book. I've been in the middle of near passenger riots. Not fun at all.

Sven
5th January 2010, 08:18 AM
These clowns are spreading their way of doing things worldwide which can't be good. We'll all pay for it eventually.

Wow. Prophetic words eh? 8 months later the GFC hit. F***ing corporate wankers.

tweetpuke
5th January 2010, 10:14 AM
What happened that I missed?

Sven
5th January 2010, 12:39 PM
Ah I was trolling found this post from ages back.

tweetpuke
5th January 2010, 10:05 PM
I thought there was some new high in airline management asshattery to view. Nothing to see here, move along...