2930 1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31 12
» Online Users: 6
0 members and 6 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 174, 12th November 2015 at 08:06 AM.
» Stats
Members: 146
Threads: 2,833
Top Poster: Cali (3,567)
Welcome to our newest member, boydyma
» Today's Birthdays
None
3 Squadron

3 Squadron (http://www.3sqn.com/forum/index.php)
-   General (http://www.3sqn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Flaming Cliffs 2.0 - File Integrity Checks (http://www.3sqn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2122)

Kuky 31st March 2010 11:45 AM

Flaming Cliffs 2.0 - File Integrity Checks

I just run a test with elDiablo to figure out how we can use the file integrity check and I am very happy with result. At first I thought you could specify only folder which should have files checked for integrity, but seems you can specify specific files also... 3 examples bellow:

Config/network.cfg

Quote:

server = {
disable_events = false,
integrity_check = {"Config/Weapons"},
client_params = "motd=\"Welcome to Flaming Cliffs 2 server!\";",
pause_on_load = true,
SPECIFIC FOLDERS (all files in them)
Quote:

server = {
disable_events = false,
integrity_check = {"Config/Weapons", "Scripts/Database/planes"},
pause_on_load = true,
FOLDER + SPECIFIC FILE
Quote:

server = {
disable_events = false,
integrity_check = {"Config/Weapons", "Scripts/Database/planes/A-10A.lua"},
pause_on_load = true,
Since I have SIMMOD A-10A installed and elDiablo doesn't he failed integrity checks when I set whole folder or only A-10A.lua file

:smile:

Case 31st March 2010 11:51 AM

File integrity checks will become a must for online multiplayer servers. It would be a good thing if server hosts can decide on which files to check, and try to come up with a list that allows people to fly on as many servers without the need to move directories and change configurations.

Kuky 31st March 2010 11:54 AM

I am now calling for all the guys in our squad to set what mods we are to allow (should be only a hand full of them, mostly LUA files) and get them all together and set available for download for all so we all have same...

I vouch for following mods:
1. F-15C 3D model

2. Su-27 3D model

3. A-10A 3D model

4. changing view in the cockpit and enabling this extra 6DOF

All other mods (for example I have MiG-29 fuel tank 3d model, Ricardo's HD cockpits, clean mirrors textures of my own) are alright as they are only textures and no modifications to any config files are required.

The A-10A and F-15C do require change in LUA files so for them we need to include those in our set... what do ya' all say? :smile:

Kuky 31st March 2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Case (Post 20207)
File integrity checks will become a must for online multiplayer servers. It would be a good thing if server hosts can decide on which files to check, and try to come up with a list that allows people to fly on as many servers without the need to move directories and change configurations.

This is one POLL that will be very usefull.. should we ask cool_t to make it? :rofl:

j/k :wink:

Case 31st March 2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuky (Post 20209)
This is one POLL that will be very usefull.. should we ask cool_t to make it? :rofl:

lol

I was sort of thinking of starting this on the Community Round Table. It would keep the noobs out, but also only 3 members per squad are allowed.

Case 31st March 2010 12:05 PM

What is 3Sqn's take on allowing exports?

It seems exports need to be off or export.lua needs to be cleverly checked for integrity to stop scripts like these to be executed.

Personally I'd be in favour for allowing exports to allow the recording of (locked) ACMI's, and LO Virtual Panel.

Grimes 31st March 2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuky (Post 20208)
4. changing view in the cockpit and enabling this extra 6DOF

Can be done server side I think.

Grimes 31st March 2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Case (Post 20211)
What is 3Sqn's take on allowing exports?

It seems exports need to be off or export.lua needs to be cleverly checked for integrity to stop scripts like these to be executed.

Personally I'd be in favour for allowing exports to allow the recording of (locked) ACMI's, and LO Virtual Panel.

My opinion on that thread...

Quote:

Two VERY important distinctions must be made.

1. What exists in reality.

2. What exists within the game.

Now I view those two things as two completely different entities. Even with the DCS level aircraft there are differences between the two. So to me, its all fine and dandy that real aircraft have certain capabilities. If it wasn't modeled in the game, its not in the game.

But alas, you argue "But the real jet has it!"
and I reply, "Well the Su-27 can carry R-77 in real life"
to that I hear, "but not the version of the Su-27 in game"
to which I say, "neither does the F-15 in game have such a radar"

So there we have it. The never ending argument. To me its not a question of whether a real aircraft has a capability, or it was done this way in Falcon or other flight sims, but rather "This is how Eagle Dynamics made their game." Their choice to leave out features was their choice. Its not the responsibility of the community to change this fact. Especially when such a mod can function independently from the game.
If a checker that locks ACMI and cleverly checks the file then I'm all for it.
If its on by default I worry about turning it off. Its not exactly a option in the menu for the game.

Kuky 31st March 2010 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimes (Post 20212)
Can be done server side I think.

I think not, with 1.12 the file was "forced" by the server, this is no longer the case, the file can only be checked for integrity if set :blank:

Case, I like the round table idea... I think 2 people from most squads is enough as we can discuss within squads what we want

Kuky 31st March 2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Now I view those two things as two completely different entities. Even with the DCS level aircraft there are differences between the two. So to me, its all fine and dandy that real aircraft have certain capabilities. If it wasn't modeled in the game, its not in the game.

So there we have it. The never ending argument. To me its not a question of whether a real aircraft has a capability, or it was done this way in Falcon or other flight sims, but rather "This is how Eagle Dynamics made their game." Their choice to leave out features was their choice. Its not the responsibility of the community to change this fact. Especially when such a mod can function independently from the game.
Bloody damn right :rtfm:

Case 31st March 2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuky (Post 20214)
Case, I like the round table idea... I think 2 people from most squads is enough as we can discuss within squads what we want

Remember that it is already in place thanks to the VJS 161: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=50421

Ruggbutt, Cali and Grimes are registered on behalf of 3Sqn and at least some pilots from the major squadrons are represented there.

X-man 31st March 2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Fully agree with that!

Cali 31st March 2010 06:28 PM

Kuky, did you check the zoom in-cockpit? Can that be enforced by the server? I hope it can be, I don't mind the strikers being able to see a little farther out then the fighters. I'm sure some people have it set to the same level as the strikers. I like the default zoom, I think it is good enough.

I'm not to fond of Yoda's mod either, I don't want to get to the point where we were in 1.12. We shouldn't have to have all these extra stuff.

Can you land at any base and R&R?

Kuky 31st March 2010 10:05 PM

Yes, zoom in cockpit can be checked as it is part of the either Server.lua or View.lua file and they should both be checked... but first we need to sit together and sort out what mods we want to use, have all the files that need editing to enable them sorted out, then present for download, (best on Lockon files or each squadron can host it also for more download options) and make a sticky at ED forums in Multiplayer section and call it something like "Flaming Cliffs 2.0 - Community Multiplayer Mod/Patch" :cool:

I personally used 20°FoV (default) for strikers back in 1.12 and 40°Fov for fighters but we can either leave defaults in FC 2.0 or even reduce FoV for fighters (so we can't zoom in to check missile launches from beyond visual range), I'm good either way as long as we all have the same settings

Cali 31st March 2010 10:09 PM

The default zoom doesn't really allow you to zoom in much. It's just like moving your head forward a tab bit, I think it is realistic.

Kuky 31st March 2010 10:24 PM

Yeah, now in FC 2.0 it is lot harder (sometimes impossible) to see ground units even with 20° FoV zoom... I cannot for example spot embeded AAA flying Su-25A in quick mission... just cannot see the bugger.. well unless he is shooting at me :rolleyes:

TomAce 31st March 2010 10:32 PM

Good start guys I can see that 3Sqn and 51st are on the same page, use this unity to try and sway other squads who may think these scripts are a good idea.

My thoughts are, be open and provide as much easy to read/find information as possible about our decision as server admins so people who may have issues once file integrity check is on, when joining our servers who'd otherwise go fly somewhere else, once educated will be pick our secure style servers as the place to fly in the future. Personally I don't care where we fly but I do appreciate a fair playing field. Having said that some compromise will be essential to making a fair realistic community standard for Integrity checking.

Grimes, Rugg, and Cali thanks for being our reps at the round table and make sure you guys are fully up to speed with the Integrity checking system and views from the rest of our members before the first meeting, any help you need just ask the rest of us.

** I'd also like to invite other pilots / squads to continue the conversation with their views on this forum.

ruggbutt 1st April 2010 04:29 AM

When I helped form BSR and we were laddering intensely we had all kinds of problems with hackers. Once a bunch of us formed a coalition of sorts and started banning people from all coalition servers only then did we see a decrease of script kiddies ruining other people's games. The round table is a great idea, I'd love to see every squad be represented there. The 159th is all in as far as coalition guidelines. Fudd (159th) and I have been working together for a while making sure that people who couldn't act right on their server were persona non grata on our server. And vice versa.

When you have a round table such as the one we've become part of it's easier to become more friendly with other squads as well. The common ground makes everyone want to work together to make a common goal. I see a good future in the round table and so far everyone has been participating in discussion without any arguments or dismay of any sort. It's a beautiful thing. I promise that should someone fuck up on our server and we explain they'll be banned from half a dozen others that they may rethink their attitude. I know in the past I've received plenty of emails begging to be "unbanned". Same with other coalition servers. This community is small. We can police it well and smacktards will soon be a thing of the past.

dubbbaya 1st April 2010 03:51 PM

This is good guys. I'm gonna bite the bullet here and indicate my preference for the TWS mod which allows TWS targets to have their heights continously bracketed. I think it is a good mod.

Case 1st April 2010 06:03 PM

If the TWS slew along and ECM ranging are realistic (and I am very doubtful about the latter), then why was it not implemented by ED? It strikes me as odd that the people trying to push it through now, are primarily all beta testers...