2728293031 1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
» Online Users: 16
0 members and 16 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 174, 12th November 2015 at 08:06 AM.
» Stats
Members: 146
Threads: 2,833
Top Poster: Cali (3,567)
Welcome to our newest member, boydyma
» Today's Birthdays
None

Old 10th June 2016, 09:37 AM   #1
Kuky
3 Sqn Member

Default I am upgrading again

Decided to get new PC parts since it's been almost 4 years now since I've bought my mobo/cpu/ram combo... I think its time to upgrade.

So without further due this is what I'm getting

- ASUS X99-A II Motherboard
- Intel i7 6850K CPU
- 4x8GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz DDR4
- Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 SSD

I will keep the GTX980 for now, I don't think its worth getting the GTX1080

OR is on order also... good times ahead I hope

EDIT 1: also changed my OS to Windows 10 64bit Home (the thing is not bad at all
EDIT2: I've now ordered GTX1080. Better gpu clock, more VRam, more CUDA cores... better FPS ☺

Last edited by Kuky; 4th July 2016 at 03:08 PM.
Kuky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 12:57 AM   #2
Cobra
3 Sqn Member

Looks awesome!

Old 15th June 2016, 06:30 AM   #3
TomAce
3 Sqn Member

That's going to fly mate.

You'll have more ram in one stick then I have in my entire system.
Old 15th June 2016, 07:21 AM   #4
Kuky
3 Sqn Member

Well its been almost 4 years now since I bought my current mobo/cpu/ram, it actually still runs good, but as I will be going VR soon, I want to get as fast FPS as I can.

I think you are still on i7 950 or something?
Old 20th June 2016, 10:11 AM   #5
Kuky
3 Sqn Member

Parts have arrived today, I'll be installing this weekend... can't wait to see how fast this M.2 SSD really is.... and then wait for Oculus Rift
Old 22nd June 2016, 02:07 AM   #6
Kuky
3 Sqn Member

I got email from Oculus that order is finalised and about to be shipped, I got the receipt from PayPal saying I was charged for the Rift... so looks like OR is coming sooner then I expected.
Old 22nd June 2016, 02:12 AM   #7
Cobra
3 Sqn Member

Cant wait to hear how it goes!

Do games need to be made compatible or is it more like a track IR where everything is compatible and more just a viewing device?

Old 22nd June 2016, 02:27 AM   #8
Kuky
3 Sqn Member

I think game has to be compatible. DCS already is (which is really the only thing I'll be using it for anyway), and they are still working on improvements for it.
Old 25th June 2016, 01:18 PM   #9
Cali
3 Sqn Member

Nice system, I need to build me a new one also. Maybe I'll get one for my birthday next year.
Old 26th June 2016, 01:14 PM   #10
Kuky
3 Sqn Member

I've spent 2 full days already installing new hardware... I'm not happy because I have 2 major issues.

One is the motherboard has 24pin + 8pin + 4pin connections, normally (so far) I've had motherboards with 24pin + 8pin connections only, and my PSU doesn't have the 4pin one (the ATX12V connector which is supposed to share load). I haven't sorted this one yet, normally you'd think I should get new PSU that has this connector but I don't want to do this, its such a bitch to take everything apart (mostly because of water cooling) just to do this... f that. Also my PSU is still pretty solid and stable. I'm thinking to just make new cable myself (its only 2 ground and 2 12V connectors... should work it out)

Second one is, the Windows 7 Home Premium (the one I have, 2 copes) doesn't see more than 16GB of RAM, and I have 32GB now. To add to that Windows 7 also doesn't see the nVME M.2 SSD I got, so I can't install OS on that directly. I managed to install OS on another SSD then clone, but I wasn't happy about doing that either. System sometimes just doesn't want to boot, and even without overclocking sometimes when it gets to loading goes to BIOS saying overclocking failed... I think this is that 4pin connector I don't have causing it... will know soon enough. So today I went out and got Windows 10 64bit... I know, all the privacy issues that go with it that I've read about all over the place... but as I didn't wait to get free upgrade through internet (which would take very long time anyway) when installing Windows 10 from this USB drive (that was neat option), I went for customized install options and ticked everything OFF before installing it.

Overall... so far so good... Windows 19 does look good and fresh, its fast and I think I managed to disable and not install all the crap that comes with it so I'm satisfied I went with this choice.

I'm still installing things, setting everything the way I like... it's such a pain but has to be done.

Untill I get that 4pin connector made and working I can't overclock

so anyway... slowly getting ready for that VR
Old 26th June 2016, 04:37 PM   #11
Kuky
3 Sqn Member

Fixed the missing 4pin ATX12V cable for the CPU, I checked the pins with multi meter, figured out what I need to rewire using spare PCI-e cable and got it working.

Now to learn to overclock this thing on this board. I loved my previous Intel DX79SR, that thing was super easy to overclock, but this motherboard is not
Old 28th June 2016, 03:05 AM   #12
Kuky
3 Sqn Member

I've redone the 4pin cable again... instead of cutting and soldering the wires, I used the tool to take the pins out, sleeved them and ta-da... cable issue is solved!

PS: Oculus Rift just got delivered to my door also... great timing
Old 29th June 2016, 10:29 PM   #13
Cali
3 Sqn Member

Glad you got that sorted out. Windows 10 decided to install it's self on my computer, stupid microsoft. But they allowed you to revert back to your previous OS which I did.
Old 1st July 2016, 03:30 AM   #14
Kuky
3 Sqn Member

Well I am still having issues with the new system, something just doesn't play right. Lot of times it just doesn't want to boot

The DisplayPort I was always using to connect video card to TV suddenly doesn't want to work, the PC will hang on booting. When I connect it to HDMI port, then it works. Very weird.

So I have decided to by new PSU, in case my one (almost 7 years old) has started to play up. Fingers crossed.

I still haven't even connected Oculus Rift, I will do that and finally try it out when I sort out booting issues, hopefully new PSU will solve it.

Cali... I didn't want to change to Windows 10 either because of all the bullshit that comes with it, but decided to get it because I am not able to install OS onto M.2 SSD (Windows installation just doesn't see it).

So I ended up buying Windows 10 (luckily its not too expensive) and when you install it, it gives you option not to install all the bullshit bloat-ware MS wants to use to "spy" on us. So far, the OS is not bad at all... as long as I can sort out my issue with booting. Windows 10 now comes on USB disk, no longer a CD (which is kind of better as you no longer need to connect CD drive/burner any more. I've stopped using one for years now).
Old 2nd July 2016, 11:36 AM   #15
Kuky
3 Sqn Member

Bastards have not shipped my PSU yet, whole Friday passed and nothing and order is still processing (and they have it in stock already). That is pretty lame.

Anywho, I finally connected the Oculus Rift today, got it setup and I can say, VR is definitely the way of the future. I admit I haven't used it in mission yet (because at the moment I only have testers version working and it is crashing on game start - fix is done but that revision is not released by ED yet, so I'm waiting for that one eagerly) but in DCS menu, man... there is Su-27 in hangar there behind the game menu, and man this thing is huge! You really get the feeling of size with VR, nothing alike you get on 2D screen, even a massive 58" 4K TV. You just have to see it... I can imagine how cool DCS cockpits look with this VR... well I'll find out soon enough
Old 2nd July 2016, 05:53 PM   #16
tweetpuke
3 Sqn Member

Kuky, I upgraded to Win7 Pro easily. Home and Home Premium both install all of the components of Pro which permits more than 16 GB of RAM. A Pro serial number only unlocks access to the features. I did a Google search that found several sites with legitimate Win7 Pro serial numbers. It was as simple as going to Upgrade Anytime Upgrade in Control Panel then inserting the new serial number and rebooting. You'll need to activate again IIRC but it is exactly that easy. M$ doesn't offer serial numbers any more so you do have to trust a third party reseller. A little research indicated the one I chose should be reliable and it was. I was desperate to avoid Win 10 so I thought it was worth ~$50. That's one helluva bullet to dodge.
"You know what? People can take a lot from you. They can take everything except your mind and your heart. Those things, you have to give away. I decided not to give them away, and neither should you."
"Once you have rid yourself of the fear of the oppressor and his prisons, his police, his army, there is nothing that they can do. You are liberated."
"When people are determined they can overcome anything."
--Nelson Mandela 1918-2013
One of the divisions consists of those who, from particular interest, from natural temper, or from the habits of life, are more partial to the opulent than to the other classes of society; and having debauched themselves into a persuasion that mankind are incapable of governing themselves, it follows with them, of course, that government can be carried on only by the pageantry of rank, the influence of money and emoluments, and the terror of military force.
-- James Madison, National Gazette, September 26, 1792
tweetpuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2016, 06:40 AM   #17
Kuky
3 Sqn Member

Guys, VR is really awesome
Old 4th July 2016, 12:37 PM   #18
Kuky
3 Sqn Member

Fuck it, I ordered an ASUS GTX1080 also
My wife will kill me